Under supervision, process samples and conduct standard serological tests, using specified protocols, troubleshooting assays, and for preparing reagents, antisera and other supplies necessary for conducting such tests. Process and ship specimens to reference laboratories for requested tests.
Ability to distinguish between colors.
Stoop, bend, and lift supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
Per the terms and agreements of the department's contracts and grants, the position may require signing of a Confidentiality Agreement or Non-Disclosure Agreement regarding testing and client information.
Share weekend/holiday coverage as needed. Occasional travel to CAHFS branch laboratories, conferences, etc.
All CAHFS employees must know and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
Must wear laboratory required/supplied PPE and participate in Health Surveillance Program. Tolerate strong odors and the sight of exposed animal tissues and blood products, and to handle/dispose of infectious materials.
May, at times, work with or be in areas where biohazardous and chemical materials and infectious diseases are present. Specific hazards of the position are, but are not limited to salmonella, Listeria, E. coli, Campylobacter, hot acids, bases, ethers and other chemicals.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Davis is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
- Knowledge and skills to perform standard serologic assays including immunodiffusion, latex, micro agglutination, agglutination, hemagglutination, and ELISA.
- Knowledge and skills to troubleshoot assay performance and make recommended actions to correct assay performance or failure.
- Skills to obtain and maintain certification by passing NVSL, NPIP check-tests and CAHFS quality control reviews.
-Knowledge and skills to work in a high throughput clinical laboratory, and skills to work accurately under multiple deadlines.
- Knowledge and skills in virology, molecular biology, genetics, and immunology to read, understand, and follow published or documented techniques and procedures.
-Skills to effectively work with and maintain automated equipment, including ELISA readers, washers, computers and computer-interfaced equipment, micro-pipetters, dispensers, centrifuges, and incubators.
- Skills to keep neat and accurate laboratory records and logbooks.
-Skills to communicate laboratory results clearly and accurately, in writing and verbally.
- Knowledge and skills in mathematics and chemistry to perform calculations and accurately prepare reagents, buffers, and dilutions.
-Skills to use and maintain laboratory balances, scales, ph meters, autoclaves, and associated equipment for preparation of buffers and media.
-Skills to store and track samples in an efficient and accurate manner.
-Knowledge of and skills to adhere to diagnostic lab quality control procedure and standards.
- Skills and knowledge to organize and prioritize individual