Under general supervision, provide support for clinicians and students in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital by serving as the first point of contact; provide medical records support; schedule appointments and process medical records data for easy retrieval; collect payments for services; enter patient charges and collect payment from clients.
-Maneuver/lift equipment and materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Perform duties at counter or desk for extended periods of time and work in confined or small spaces.
-This is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
-May require working with or around areas with sick animals, hazardous materials, and/or infectious diseases, and distraught clients.
- Maintain a working schedule coordinated with team members to provide coverage between 7:30am - 7:00 pm. Monday through Friday with alternating Saturdays.
- Work variable hours and occasional overtime to meet operational needs.
-Work in other related areas on an as needed basis.
Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
- Experience assessing and recognizing emergency situations, difficult/unpleasant situations and/or individuals and take the appropriate action.
- Experience with administrative, billing, client services, and medical records in a veterinary medical environment.
- Reception experience to answer phones and assist clients.
- Experience taking messages, and preparing/proofreading correspondence, reports, and informational documents.
- Knowledge of animal anatomy, and medical terminology to provide general information and make the appropriate referrals.
- Math and analytical skills to review and correct data.
- Experience using various programs and software for word processing, spreadsheets, scheduling, entry and retrieval of medical records, and database management programs.
- Interpersonal communication and customer services skills to clearly and effectively interact with individuals of varying ages, cultural backgrounds, perspectives to secure and/or provide information to clarify situations, resolve problems, make referrals, and interact with the general public in a helpful and positive manner.
- Knowledge of VMTH admissions, records, cashiering policies and procedures affecting services, clients, and confidentiality of records and information.
- Experience with filing alphabetically, numerically, and use a terminal digit filing system.
- Ability to learn the fundamental VMTH services and standards for admissions, records, billing, disease processes, scientific terms and processes.
You might wonder what it is like to work here. While there are as many answers as there are workers — we have more than 30,000 — often you hear people say that they choose UC Davis because they can work with “really bright, fun people” who share an ideal.
This common goal of wanting to help students, provide superior health care and improve the world has created an interdisciplinary and diverse community. We embrace the challenge of addressing the greatest issues of our time while growing personally and professionally.