Note: This position is open until filled. Proof of education must be submitted with your online application in order to be considered. Applications submitted without proof of education will be rejected and considered incomplete.
The City of Sacramento is seeking a Principal Applications Developer with sound project management and technical experience to lead the City's enterprise application system. This position is located within the Enterprise Applications Management Division of the Department of Information Technology and will be responsible for leading a team of application developers in providing complex innovative solutions to enhance business processes throughout the organization. This is a highly technical level position operating in a fast-paced environment. This position will be responsible for the development, configuration, and technical support efforts for managing various systems. The incumbent will be expected to work under tight timelines and competing priorities. This individual will also support the implementation of several large technology initiatives and projects that are aligned with the City's Digital Strategy.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Ideal Candidate will have advanced knowledge and hands-on experience with municipal software, business process analysis, configuration, programming, and project management. The Ideal Candidate will also establish, maintain and manage a city-wide project plan for all application functionality requirements including user interfaces and software customizations to meet the needs of the business staff across different departments and divisions. This position will also support new enhancements, and system/data reporting requirements and will make recommendations for implementing new system modules to better support the organization's mission.
Under general direction, the Principal Applications Developer performs a variety of high-level professional, technical, and analytical duties involving research, evaluation, planning, requirements analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, administration and support of new and existing small and large scale systems and databases in a multi-platform environment that includes mainframe, client server, distributed and web based systems.
This is an expert professional-level classification populated with multiple incumbents. Principal Application Developers provide the highest level of business and technical expertise and knowledge in the performance of their duties. Incumbents are the recognized experts in their fields. The Principal Applications Developer is distinguished from Senior Applications Developer by the increased degree of difficulty of the work assignment, the greater level of business and technical knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the tasks, and the potential consequences of errors. The Principal Applications Developer provides project management and technical leadership, training and informal work direction to lower-lever Applications Developers. The Principal Applications Developer is distinguished from Information Technology Supervisor in that the latter is the first full supervisory level while the former, which may supervise as an incidental assignment, is the highest level technical expert.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General direction is provided by and Information Technology Supervisor, Information Technology Manager or other higher-level management staff. Responsibilities may include supervision of technical, administrative staff or project teams.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Possession of a Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field.
Six years progressively responsible professional experience in information technology including a minimum of three years at the advanced journey level.
Proof of Education:
Proof of education such as college transcripts and degrees must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as an attachment(s) to the online application, or fax to (916) 596-1556. If submitting in person or via fax, please include your name and Recruitment #001828-17-2 on your documents.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. This evaluation must be submitted before you will be considered for any positions
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application to the Employment Office;
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire:
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail)– Human Resources will evaluate employment applications for the minimum qualifications stated on the job announcement.
4. Conviction Questionnaire: Human Resources will notify candidates who met the minimum qualifications by email to complete and submit the "Conviction Questionnaire". The notification will provide each candidate with instructions on how to sign into his/her GovernmentJobs account and retrieve the "Conviction Questionnaire". Promptly follow the instructions and respond to the questionnaire within three (3) business days from the date of the email notification. Failure to complete this step by the deadline will result in your application not being forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
5. Interview Process: Human Resources will forward qualified applications to the hiring department. Those determined to be the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview process. The Director will review the results, if necessary conduct additional interviews, and forward the recommendation to the City Manager's Office for final action.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process: